About this Region
The Twin Cities community of InterPlayers thrives with over 80 members, as we look for more and more opportunities to spread the joy of InterPlay (we mainly do this for the selfish reason that we want more and more people to play with!).
We offer many opportunities to experience the power of InterPlay® through classes and the Life Practice Program (where you will be able to take the philosophies of InterPlay more fully into your life). We also offer Play Groups for experienced InterPlayers to gather and continue to play with and expand their InterPlay® forms.
In 1989, Cynthia Winton-Henry and Phil Porter (out of California) created the InterPlay® system of easy to learn practices that lead participants through incremental steps into dance, music and stories. On top of that, they found that InterPlay® helped people put passion, purpose and playfulness back into life! InterPlay® is a worldwide movement dedicated to ease and fullness, peace and diversity, creativity and community, development and change.
In 1994 Cathy Ann Beaty went to California and brought InterPlay® back to the Twin Cities and things haven’t been the same since. She offered classes and workshops and performed for a variety of curious communities. CathyAnn also cultivated a core group as the first InterPlay® performance company in Minnesota, called Soul Play.
Soon many people were learning the forms and learning to play this way and wanted MORE. The Minnesota InterPlay® Community (MIPC) was formed as a cooperative. Play Groups and a Yahoo group list were established so that InterPlayers could continue to play and keep in touch.
Here are a few highlights of the growth of InterPlay in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota:
- In 2004 MIPC members went to the first ever International InterPlay® Conference in Nashville, TN, and presented tips for other cities to start their own InterPlay® communities.
- In 2006 MIPC was dissolved and a website was created instead. Additional Play Groups sprang up in the Twin Cities because people couldn’t get enough of InterPlay®.
- More teachers were trained and more classes are now offered.
- In 2007, we welcomed Phil and Cynthia to the Twin Cities where they created the Unbelievable Beauty of Being Human conference/Untensive and performance which included InterPlayers from all over the world and the United States.
- Several of our members went to Malawi, Africa in the summer of 2007 for an incredible InterPlay journey.
- We performed at the 2007 MannaFest theatre festival with “Wake Up and Smell the Blank…” (a totally improvised performance piece).